Thursday, January 31, 2013

It's never enough

Spring, that is and after the past couple of warm days that we've had, I have really been in the mood for spring.  Even opened up the window. All I needed was a cold glass of lemonade and for someone to mow some grass!  It's been pure heaven!

With spring, comes the first days of summer and the arrival of the fireflies, but in my neck of the woods they were referred to as lightening bugs. My sister and I would play for hours trying to catch those little boogers.  Grabbing one of moms old jelly mason jars, we'd head out to the backyard to see how many we could catch before we had to go in the house.

There is an art to catching lightening bugs.  Those little suckers are smart.  It's a lot easier to catch them when it is just about dusk, but once the gets completely dark, you have to really have a knack for it. Sometimes my sister and I would use a little tag team action. One would be in charge of catching the lightening bugs and the other would be the 'keeper of the jar.'  We eventually traded off to make it fair.

Looking back now, I am thinking that running barefoot through the grass, in the dark, around trees, with a glass jar wasn't such a smart idea.  But boy was it fun. If my memory serves me correctly though, the biggest injury was one of us stepping on one of those blasted thistle bushes.  We were lucky. Mom would eventually have to threaten us or sometimes she would bribe us with the promise of popcorn and Pepsi, if we would come inside and get our baths.  Those were the days!  And yes, we did let the lightening bugs out of the jar. . .after our bath. :)


So until tomorrow. . . .Happy COLLECTING!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I really like this idea. Maybe you could do some fireflies on the side like you did the ladybugs and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, lightening bugs in my neck of the woods too. Good memories. We did the simplest things as children....remember tag? Helloooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! that sounds like such fun! we don't have those around here! We do have lots of dragonflies though. they are the Washington State bug... never catch them.. but oh so fun to watch!
    hope your day is fantastic, creative and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved to catch lightening bugs as a child, loads of fun! Now my grandchildren are doing it. Love your sketch - can't wait to see the finished picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! A favorite summertime memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this could easily be my favorite!!! Being from the west coast where fire flies are a legend, wasn't I delighted to move to the east coast for 6 years and get to experience them!!! They are truely magical!! Used to see them in the trees down by the creek - little ghosts flitting around!! But my favorite sighting was when our dogs would run around in the back yard with "sparks" flying from their feet!!I miss seeing them now that we are home on the west coast but my memories will last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl grat stoyr of you and your sister.I once found a bird who was badly injured so i got a shoe box with a blanket and covered it, got some water and bird food and he never had any of it ,you guessed it on the final my brother came with me to see if he could help ,he said the birds dead sis .I was only 8 years old ,now you couldnt pay me to touch a bird, im terrified after watching The Birds as a teenager .xIm loving that one and im going to be buying it xx

    ReplyDelete